Table of Contents
One couldn’t emphasize enough about the benefits of exercise. Do not stress about not having access to gyms or fitness studios. Exercise can be achieved in several ways and in the comfort of your home.Exercise can be achieved in several ways and in the comfort of your home. Click To Tweet
With time management, the right nutrition, and motivation, you can lead a healthy lifestyle regardless of the circumstances. An added bonus is the plethora of free online videos, tutorials, and live workout sessions available. So don’t let anything stop you.
There are numerous benefits of exercising. A regular and long-term exercise routine can transform your life. Let’s find out how.
Disclosure: Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
7 Benefits of Exercise
- Weight remains in check: Remember that several diseases and health issues stem from weight gain and obesity. Exercise helps burn calories in a safe and healthy way.
- Prevention of Cardio Vascular Diseases (CVDs): Weight gain and obesity are directly linked to CVDs or heart disease e.g. high cholesterol, heart attack, etc. Exercise can reduce the risk of developing CVDs by increasing blood flow resulting in increased oxygen levels in the body.
- Lower levels of blood sugar and insulin: Regular exercise helps lower the risk of diseases like diabetes and help people who are diabetic manage it better.
- Positive self-image: A regular exercise routine can transform your body and give you tremendous confidence. A toned body and well-groomed appearance can boost your self-esteem and help you get more out of life.
- Better mood and overall mental health: Although extremely important, mental health is often less prioritized. A regular exercise routine that we enjoy actually triggers chemicals in our mind and body that can drastically uplift our mood and thoughts. In the long run, exercise acts as a stimulant for the human brain by enhancing cognitive abilities such as learning, logical thinking and reasoning.
- Get sufficient sleep: Due to lifestyle stresses, many people report sleeping disorders like insomnia, irregular to insufficient sleep. Exercise can combat sleep issues that you may be facing. According to the National Heart Blood, Lung and Blood Institute:
“Sleep plays an important role in physical health. For example, sleep is involved in the healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels. Ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.”
- Increase life longevity: When our physical and mental health is in order, we can have a healthy life overall and live longer as a result of reduced risk of several diseases.
Supplement Exercise With The Right Nutrition
Staying home for long can mean slipping into your comfort zone which implies falling into a routine of t.v. binges and junk food. However, these habits are incredibly counterproductive and may just undo all the hard work you have done to stay fit. Although, we are faced with shortages of certain groceries and food items, here’s a list of superfoods that you can stock up on and still ensure a nutritious diet.
Below, we’ve handpicked the best nutrition foods for you to choose. Also note that some of the supplements might not be familiar, however, the benefits of these foods are very high.
- Semolina: Semonlina is a flour made from ground durum wheat that includes rich protein, fiber, and B vitamins that helps with weight loss, heart health, and digestion. With the high protein content, it is great to create recipes like pasta and bread.
- Poha: Poha is similar to rice but with very low on calories. It contains 75% of carbohydrates and 25% fat, which is very effective when it comes to weight loss nutrition. This food is usually known as a primary food in India, which may not be familiar, but it surely is something to try out.
- Cornflakes: As many of you know, cornflake have a low-fat content, which is why it’s famously known for diet foods. However, make sure to eat it along with some fruits to balance out the nutrition.
- Oats: Oats are very helpful in losing weight because the feeling of full lasts longer than other foods. Oat also helps with digestive system as well.
- Sunflower Seeds (or any other form of ingestible seeds): Seeds are not just for planting! Seeds contain a good natural source of zinc, which is well known for immune boosters. Eating seeds can protect heart diseases while vitamin B can help cope with stress.
The above-mentioned items are rich in nutrients and don’t require expert cooking skills. These ingredients make easy and quick dishes with several variations. Also, get in more fruits and vegetables in the form of salads, juices and smoothies. However, fruits provide maximum nutrition when eaten as they are. A balanced diet combined with exercise can do wonders for your health, helping you to lose weight and tone your body.
5 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Forms of Exercises
The following exercises can be practiced on their own or in a combination i.e. cross-training.
Cross-training implies combining different exercises into your fitness routine We recommend having a varied exercise routine to keep you interested and lose weight faster. According to Verywellfit.com, cross-training has multiple benefits such as conditioning different muscle groups, reducing boredom, reducing the risk of injury, because there’s no stress on one particular muscle or muscles, and you end up learning new exercises which keeps you motivated.
The following are some popular forms of exercise that can be done at home by yourself with guidance from free online tutorials, videos and webinars.
This ancient form of exercise is loved by people the world over. You can derive the maximum benefit out of yoga if you practice it early in the morning. All you need is a yoga mat and soothing music to get started. Yoga involves stretching and breathing and helps tone your body and disciplining the mind.
Pilates is a form of exercise that strengthens your core but also tones your arms and legs and improves posture and balance. Although pilates is practised with the help of particular equipment, mat pilates simply needs a mat and can be practised anywhere much like yoga.
Dancing is perhaps the most enjoyable and dynamic form of exercise. Even if you’re a shy dancer, you can dance those calories away in the privacy and comfort of your home. Start with slow music, increase the tempo to get the most out of your workout and gradually slow down the rhythm of the music for cooldown. Experiment with different music genres and you will never get bored with exercise.
Aerobics is a lot like dance but more restricted and repetitive. It is a great and fun way to burn calories and tone up. To get the maximum out of your aerobics workout, invest in a good aerobics stepper, ankle weights and a pair of dumbells. Take advantage of several videos and tutorials online to make your aerobic workout a success.
A good walk combined with variations of jogging and running can do you a world of good. It’s a quick calorie burner and leaves you feeling refreshed. Even if you don’t have access to parks or gyms, a treadmill at home or a walk in one’s residential society premises, spot jogging, or a brisk walk around the neighborhood early in the morning can fill your quota of exercise.
Exercise has several benefits. It is actually a cost-effective investment in ourselves which can prevent unnecessary medical and healthcare expenses. Even in uncertain and challenging times, adhering to an exercise routine supplemented with a healthy diet is a possibility. The key is to be determined and have a positive attitude.